PITTSBURGH'S PENNSYLVANIA MOTOR SPEEDWAY
Media Contact: Judy Gower 723-853-7223 email@example.com
September 22, 2006
Contact: DIRT MotorSports
Kevin Kovac, World of Outlaws Late Model Series P.R. Director
405-488-8234 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Chub Frank Flexes Muscle In Heat Win; Francis, McCreadie & Eckert Also Capture Pittsburgher 100 Prelim Victories Friday Night
IMPERIAL, PA (Sept. 22, 2006) Chub Frank of Bear Lake, Pa., proved he's ready to bid for another Pittsburgher 100 trophy, scoring an impressive heat victory in Friday night's World of Outlaws Late Model Series qualifying action at Pittsburgh's Pennsylvania Motor Speedway.
Steve Francis of Ashland, Ky., WoO LMS points leader Tim McCreadie of Watertown, N.Y., and Rick Eckert of York, Pa., also captured heat-race triumphs leading up to Saturday night's 18th annual Pittsburgher 100.
Frank, 44, authored arguably the evening's most impressive drive in the first preliminary. Saddled with the fourth starting spot after turning the 13th-fastest lap in the 54-car time-trial session, he charged forward to grab the lead from Josh Richards of Shinnston, W.Va., late in the 10-lap distance.
A winner of the Pittsburgher 100 in 2001, Frank will try to secure the pole position for the event by winning Saturday night's dash. He's scheduled to start second in that race, alongside Francis.
The speed Frank flashed with his Lester Buildings Rocket No. 1* wasn?t surprising, considering he owns the most experience in the Pittsburgher among all the regulars on the WoO LMS. He's raced in every Pittsburgher 100 except last year's edition, which wasn't part of the WoO LMS.
Frank is focused on running well in Saturday's 100-lapper so he can keep alive his flickering WoO LMS title hopes. He sits fourth in the points standings, 56 markers behind McCreadie.
Both McCreadie and Eckert won heat races after making engine changes in their primary cars during the afternoon. McCreadie made the swap after experiencing terminal problems early in Thursday night's practice session, while Eckert decided to change powerplants because he felt something wasn't right under the hood on Thursday and didn't want to take a chance of bigger problems developing.
McCreadie's closest pursuers in the WoO LMS points race, Shane Clanton of Locust Grove, Ga., and Billy Moyer of Batesville, Ark., made the Pittsburgher 100 starting field through Friday night's heat competition. Clanton finished second to Eckert in the fourth heat to earn the main's eighth starting spot, while Moyer will take the feature green flag from the 15th slot after driving his new MasterSbilt car to a fourth-place finish in the third heat.
Steve Casebolt of Richmond, Ind., set fast time during Friday's qualifying, steering Dale Beitler's familiar No. 19 to a lap of 19.88 seconds.
WoO LMS Rookie of the Year contender Eric Jacobsen of Santa Cruz, Calif., was not on hand for qualifying due to problems flying out of his home state to meet his team at PPMS. He was grounded by three separate flight cancellations, so he arranged for PPMS regular George Kowatic to qualify his Rocket No. 5.
Kowatic was 22nd-fastest in time trials and finished eighth in the second heat. Provided Jacobsen arrives at PPMS on Saturday, he'll take over the controls of his machine and start scratch in the first B-Main.
Pit gates will open for Saturday's program at 11 a.m. and spectator gates at 12 noon. Racing will begin at 7 p.m., featuring WoO LMS B-Mains, specials for the E-Mods and Pure Stocks, and the 18th annual Pittsburgher 100, which will not have a halfway fuel stop.
Time Trial Results (Position/No./Driver/Hometown/Best Lap):
1. 19-Steve Casebolt/Richmond, IN 19.88
2. 15b-Brian Birkhofer/Muscatine, IA 19.88
3. 17m-Dale McDowell/Chickamauga, GA 19.91
4. 24-Rick Eckert/York, PA 19.92
5. 1-Josh Richards/Shinnston, WV 19.98
6. 15-Steve Francis/Ashland, KY 20.09
7. 39-Tim McCreadie/Watertown, NY 20.14
8. 25-Shane Clanton/Locust Grove, GA 20.15
9. 28-Eddie Carrier Jr./Salt Rock, WV 20.25
10. 44-Clint Smith/Senoia, GA 20.27
11. 17E-Lance Elson/Wellsburg, WV 20.28
12. 29-Darrell Lanigan/Union, KY 20.28
13. 1*-Chub Frank/Bear Lake, PA 20.31
14. 68-Dennis Niederritter/McDonald, PA 20.45
15. 21-Billy Moyer/Batesville, AR 20.50
16. 0-Steve Baker/Fairmont, WV 20.50
17. 8w-Alan Dellinger/Niles, OH 20.56
18. H1-Jared Miley/South Park, PA 20.59
19. 4-Alex Ferree/Saxonburg, PA 20.65
20. 76-Dave Wade/Clinton, PA 20.68
21. 84-Rod Sweitzer/Stoystown, PA 20.70
22. 5-George Kowatic/Pittsburgh, PA 20.71
23. 72-John Mason/Millersburg, OH 20.72
24. 76x-Jason Rider/Clinton, PA 20.76
25. 21s-Leo Stadelman/Pittsburgh, PA 20.76
26. 58c-Garrett Durrett/Simsboro, LA 20.76
27. 09-Lou Bradich/Chester, WV 20.81
28. 29h-Rick Heim/Pittsburgh, PA 20.83
29. 79-Davey Johnson/Latrobe, PA 20.88
30. 2J-Mike Johnson/Imperial, PA 20.89
31. 17B-Keith Barbara/South Park, PA 20.92
32. 1c-Lynn Geisler/Cranberry Twp., PA 20.93
33. 02-Al Atallah/Bridgeville, PA 20.97
34. 84s-Jim Stephans/Pittsburgh, PA 21.00
35. 69-John Hodgkiss/McKees Rocks, PA 21.00
36. 17-Brandon Burgoon/McDonald, PA 21.03
37. 21T-Tony Musolino/Scott Twp., PA 21.04
38. 18-Robbie Scott/Shinnston, WV 21.05
39. 48-John Flinner/Zelionople, PA 21.06
40. 23-John Blankenship/Williamson, WV 21.06
41. 44H-Dave Hess Jr./Waterford, PA 21.07
42. 99-Ben Miley/Peters Twp., PA 21.13
43. 33-Chris Hackett/Erie, PA 21.13
44. 14G-Scott Gunn/W. Mifflin, PA 21.19
45. 40-Dutch Davies/Warren, PA 21.34
46. GR3-Bob Salathe/Bedford, PA 21.34
47. 14-Tommy Schirnhoffer Jr./Durmont, PA 21.43
48. 1U-Matt Urban/North East, PA 21.49
49. 66-Nick Jones/Pittsburgh, PA 21.66
50. 2G-Tim Gould/Moon Twp., PA 21.70
51. 6-Jim Lepro/Midway, PA 21.77
52. 29R-Keith Rodriguez/Crescent, PA 21.96
53. T8-Mark Banal/St. Clairsville, OH 22.12
54. 99b-Rick Briggs/Bear Lake, PA N/T (DQ)
Heat No. 1 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Frank, Richards, Casebolt, Carrier, Sweitzer, D. Johnson, Hess, Davies, Atallah, Jones, Musolino, Stadelman, Dellinger, Banal.
Heat No. 2 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Francis, C. Smith, Birkhofer, Briggs, J. Miley, Scott, Salathe, Kowatic, Gould, Niederritter, B. Miley, Stephans, Durrett, M. Johnson.
Heat No. 3 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): McCreadie, McDowell, Barbara, Moyer, Lepro, Bradich, Flinner, Ferree, Elson, Mason, Hackett, Hodgkiss, Schirnhoffer.
Heat No. 4 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Eckert, Clanton, Lanigan, Baker, Gunn, Wade, Geisler, Blankenship, Burgoon, Urban, Heim, Rodriguez, Rider.
LISTEN ONLINE: If fans can't get to a track to see the series, they can experience the excitement of the World of Outlaws Late Model Series live on Dirtvision.com through the DIRT Radio Network.
To listen to the audio broadcasts, log on to www.dirtvision.com and click on the DIRT Radio Network logo.
Listeners will need Windows Media Player 9 or higher to listen to the DIRT Radio Network. For technical support or questions, e-mail email@example.com.
The World of Outlaws Late Model Series is brought to fans across the country by several sponsors and partners, including Series sponsor Hoosier Tire; Promotional sponsors AMB i.t., Choice Hotels International, COESfx, The University of Northwest Ohio and Snap-on. Contingency sponsors include DART Machinery, Holley Performance Products Inc., MSD Ignition, Quarter Master,
Ohlins and Wrisco Industries.